RELENG_7: /boot/loader command prompt mode broken?

Kelly Black kjblack at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 13:54:31 UTC 2008

>Message: 4
>Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 14:10:45 -0700
>From: "Kevin Oberman" <oberman at es.net>
>Subject: Re: RELENG_7: /boot/loader command prompt mode broken?
>To: Eugene Grosbein <eugen at kuzbass.ru>
>Cc: stable at freebsd.org
>
>> Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 18:21:47 +0800
>> From: Eugene Grosbein <eugen at kuzbass.ru>
>> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Today I've updated my 7.0-STABLE system using source upgrade path.
>> loader(8) boots it just fine but it's impossible to issue commands
>> using its command prompt mode (N.B.: beastie_disable="YES"
>> and autoboot_delay="2" are in my /boot/loader.conf).
>>
>> At boot time, I hit "Space" button to reach its command prompt - that works.
>> While typing of a command, I observe one of bad things:
>>
>> 1) it just hangs solid (keyboard LEDs do not switch) after a couple
>>   of characters entered, or
>> 2) system spontaneously reboots while typing, or
>> 3) it shows endless flow of hex dump, presumably from BTX.
>>
>> Most of time it hangs, a couple of times I've got reboot
>> and once there was hex dump. I use vidconsole with PS/2 keyboard.
>>
>> Seldom I've allowed to type 'boot -s' and hit enter without a problem -
>> it boots system OK then. So, I assume there is a problem
>> with vidconsole input/output routines.

[Snip ... ]

I am having a similar problem. I removed the config.boot file with no
change. Someone in this list posted the following links:

> documented here; and yes, I realise you don't get a screen full of
> continual register dumps, but different people saw different behaviour:
>
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/JeremyChadwick/Commonly_reported_issues
>
> Also see these mailing list threads:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-October/078755.html
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2007-November/038214.html

Unfortunately I have not had a chance to test them yet. (It is hard to
bring a machine down while it is running.)

Sincerely,
Kel

Kelly Black Phone: (518) 388-8727
Department of Mathematics FAX: (603) 388-6005
Union College e-mail: kelly.black at union.edu
Schenectady NY 12308 (USA) WWW: http://blackk.union.edu/~black