6.3 nfe: dead after system reset

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Thu Jul 3 21:26:47 UTC 2008

As they say - long time, no see :-)
I am back with some more details, but still with no insights.

Let me refresh an essence of the issue.
The issue: after 'abrupt' reset/reboot of a system my nfe interface is dead.
That is, if I do a graceful reboot (e.g. via shutdown -r) everything is
ok, ditto if I do power-down (whether graceful or not) and the power-up.
The problem happens only if I press reset button and then boot up.

Details.
The issue can not be reproduced with nve driver.
Moreover, when I reproduce the problem with nfe, then kldunload nfe
driver, kldload nve driver - nve interface is alive. Then kldunload nve,
kldload nfe - nfe interface is dead again.

Specification of dead.
There are no errors. ifconfig shows the same output (active, media, up,
etc) as in normal case. But I can not ping any host on local network
(connected to the same switch), ping outputs "Host is down". tcpdump
also doesn't show any incoming traffic.

More details.
I was able to verify that packets do actually go through the interface.
When I try to ping some machine I see (on the other host) arp requests
for its ethernet address. All address in arp packets are correct
(ethernet and ip). So the interface works for outgoing packets, but
somehow loses incoming arp replies. Not sure if thap happens in the NIC
or in the driver itself (see the above nve/nfe live replacement experiment).

So, there are some facts, but still no clues.

--
Andriy Gapon