no serial console for ttyd0 HP Blade

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 2 07:27:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 12:16:41AM -0700, Jo Rhett wrote:
> I'll bet you that sio is deciding that com1 or not, it's sio1 (not sio0)
> which can be fixed with the changes I mention below.
>
> On Jul 1, 2008, at 11:38 PM, Ulf Zimmermann wrote:
>> I take that back, on blades the virtual serial is on COM1.

I agree with Joe.  Chances are it may be "COM1" in the BIOS, but it may
be actually wired to the equivalent of COM2.  Or, the blade manufacturer
set the ACPI table to point 0x3f8/4 to COM2 and 0x2f8/3 to COM1.

I've seen this on one Supermicro board (front panel COM port is COM2,
rear is COM1; but no mention of what's what in the manual.  You actually
have to experiment to find out.)