FreeBSD 7.0 Questions

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at freebsd.org
Thu Feb 28 07:56:48 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 11:15:30PM -0800, Doug Hardie wrote:
> I have just installed 7.0 on some new hardware.  Have never tried earlier
> versions.  There are a couple of unexpected items that I do not understand.
>
> 2.  I have 2 SATA drives in the system.  The first is recognized as ad10
> and the second as ad12.  I expected to see ad0 and ad1.

You shouldn't "expect" this in any way shape or form.  The device
numbers are not consistent, and are known to change depending upon lots
of reasons (AHCI disabled/enabled, another ATA controller in place, SATA
in "compatible" mode or "enhanced" mode, etc. etc.).

Thus, never expect the adX devices to "start with 0".