7.0 RC3 and usb problems

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Tue Feb 26 16:07:38 UTC 2008

--On Tuesday, February 26, 2008 16:58:45 +1030 Daniel O'Connor
<doconnor at gsoft.com.au> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>> > Doesn't make much sense to me.  I'm not very familiar with how the
>> > usb system works, so I'm not sure where to look to find the
>> > problem.  There's no /dev/umass either.
>>
>> For umass devices to work, you need to have uhci (or ohci if your
>> system uses that USB bus type), ehci (for USB2.0), usb (obvious), and
>> umass. The kicker is that you also need scbus, da, and possibly pass.
>
> They must be in the kernel otherwise it wouldn't have linked.
>
> Does the device appear in usbdevs -v when it's connected?
>
> Does anything show up in dmesg?

# uname -a
FreeBSD utd65257.utdallas.edu 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #2: Tue Feb 26
09:07:31 CST 2008     root at utd65257.utdallas.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
i386

I recompiled the kernel this morning, and the symptoms have changed.  (I
noticed some recent commits to cvs.)  Now, if I have my Maxtor hard drive
attached to the system during boot, the system hangs and I get umass errors.

umass0: BBB reset failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, TIMEOUT

These continue until the system reboots.  If I disconnect (physically) the
drive, the system boots normally and *then* I can attach the drive and mount it.

# usbdevs -v
Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 powered
Controller /dev/usb1:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 powered
Controller /dev/usb2:
addr 1: high speed, self powered, config 1, EHCI root hub(0x0000),
Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
 port 1 addr 5: high speed, self powered, config 1, Maxtor 3200(0x3200), Maxtor
Corporation(0x0d49), rev 0.01
 port 2 addr 2: high speed, self powered, config 1, product 0x2504(0x2504),
vendor 0x0424(0x0424), rev 0.01
  port 1 addr 3: low speed, power 100 mA, config 1, USB Optical Mouse(0x4d15),
vendor 0x0461(0x0461), rev 2.00
  port 2 addr 4: low speed, power 100 mA, config 1, Microsoft Natural Keyboard
Elite(0x000b), vendor 0x045e(0x045e), rev 2.07
  port 3 powered
  port 4 powered
 port 3 powered
 port 4 powered
 port 5 powered
 port 6 powered
Controller /dev/usb3:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 powered
Controller /dev/usb4:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 powered
Controller /dev/usb5:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 powered
Controller /dev/usb6: