Memory Leak under FreeBSD 6.0 RELEASE

Arun Balakrishnan arun.balakrishnan at wipro.com
Tue Feb 26 04:40:34 UTC 2008

My previous mail was this:

Wow! Thanks a lot for the reply. The patch you provided really gave
some insight on the underlying problem.

In our final product, the library will be loaded and used only once
per instance. However the automated test suites for the library, do this
for over 2000 times as part of functional testing and memory leak
testing. In this we were getting a huge leak on FreeBSD.

One more question though. (Second one in the list of queries I had
posted in my first mail.)

2. While executing this without Valgrind, in another terminal we did a
    "ps -Aopid,rss | grep LibLoader_" continuously in a loop and saw that
    the RSS (resident set size) field value keeps increasing by 4KB every
    now and then. The same experiment on GNU/Linux shows that RSS remains
    at the same value. What could be the cause for the ever rising RSS
    value?

Could you throw some light on what could be the possible reason for
this? Is RSS value directly mappable to the leak that we see in libc?
This is another issue that is acting as a show stopper for us.

Thanks again,
~Arun

www.wipro.com