Dual Core Xeon / i386 install w/ more than 4gb of RAM

Kevin K kkutzko at teksavvy.com
Wed Feb 20 16:37:34 UTC 2008

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have been trying to push to move to amd64 architecture for all the reasons you all stated. For the record, we tested PAE on one machine, booted the kernel w/ nextboot and it crashed about 15 minutes later. I will consider configuring a dump device to analyze the kernel dumps, but for now we reverted to the original i386 kernel and are likely going to scrap the PAE idea and move to amd64.

This was a management decision (obviously) and the people who originally built this box (long before I was there), did not have enough experience or foresight. i was hoping for alternative suggestions to reduce downtime of these boxes, such as recompiling amd64 manually instead of a fresh install.

These boxes are just Apache, Mysql, PHP type boxes. Nothing exotic or fancy.

Thanks again for your suggestions. I am trying my best to relay the reasoning and rock-solid logic ;)