is there any raid5 in software in FreeBSD ?

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Wed Feb 20 02:06:23 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 19 February 2008 07:51:32 pm Joe Peterson wrote:
> Nenhum_de_Nos wrote:
> > i've seen RAID 0 through 3 (skip 2 ;) )
> >
> > thanks,
>
> ZFS has RAIDZ - very similar to RAID5 (with added features), if you
> don't mind ZFS's current experimental state.

gvinum supports RAID5, but is a bit more complicated than g[mirror|stripe|
raid3]. There is also an experimental graid5 module but last I heard it
was a long way from being ready to commit and it doesn't seem to have
much momentum (although FreeNAS uses it).

If/when I get around to buying more disks for my home server I'll be using
ZFS. YMMV.

JN