Single user mode behaviour with serial console in 7.0RC2

Geoff Roberts geoff at apro.com.au
Sat Feb 16 13:07:03 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have built a FreeBSD 7.0RC2 system to use both the serial and video
consoles.

I find that when I drop into single user mode (shutdown now) on the terminal
connected to the box itself I do not see the single user mode prompt on the
serial console terminal.

Likewise, when I drop to single user mode on the serial console I do not see
the single user prompt on the terminal connected to the box itself.

Is this expected, or have I configured something incorrectly?

In /etc/make.conf I have BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED=115200

In my kernel configuration file I have:

options         CONSPEED=115200

I have rebuilt and installed world and the kernel.

In /etc/ttys I have
ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.115200" vt100 on secure

I have also re-installed the bootstrap code:

cd /usr/src/sys/boot
make install
bsdlabel -B bootPartition

In /boot/loader.conf I have