Rebuilding World Problems

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Feb 14 02:43:46 UTC 2008

> Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:12:45 -0800
> From: Gavin Spomer <spomerg at cwu.EDU>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org

> > > make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
> > > make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
> > If you put KERNCONF into make.conf, you can simplify it to:
> > make kernel
>
> Just to be clear, if I add the appropriate KERNCONF line in
> /etc/make.conf, "make kernel" will take care of both "make
> buildkernel" AND "make installkernel"? (w/o the KERNCONF= part)

Actually, this is really two things that I concatenated just to confuse
everyone.

1. "make kernel" is simply defined in the Makefile as 'make buildkernel
   && make installkernel'.

2. KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE in make.conf allows you to not need to
   specify the kernel config file name every time you make.

Combine the two and you reduce:
make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
to:
make kernel

Of course, if you are building now and not re-booting until later,
combining the two steps may not be a good idea, but most people do
upgrades to their own systems (as opposed to servers or farms) in
immediate sequence.

> > > reboot (in single user mode)
> > >
> > > fsck -p (optional, but a good idea)
> > A total waste of time, but I do it anyway since I am paranoid.
> > adjkerntz -i
>
> Like many good admins, I am paranoid too, so I will include this. :)
>
> > This command has no impact if the hardware clock is set to UTC/GMT, but
> > it is often not, especially if the system is dual boot with Windows.
> > > mount -u /
> > Since the next command does this, the is no need for this, even for the
> > paranoid.
> > > mount -a -t ufs
> > > swapon -a (most cases; optional)
> > >
> > > cd /usr/src
> > > mergemaster -p
> > > make installworld
> > > mergemaster
> > While not in src/UPDATING, I always urge people to use the -iU options
> > to save a LOT of time on future builds.
>
> These options are for mergemaster I take it? I had another look at the
> man page for mergemaster and inspected these options, so this sounds
> good.

'-i' will install newly added files without asking. It save a bit of time.
'-U' uses saved MD5 hashes so that files that have never been modified
from default are updated without interaction. This is a huge time
saver. (Of course, it does not help the first time you run mergemaster,
but it will every time in the future.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)