Rebuilding World Problems

Chris H. chris# at 1command.com
Wed Feb 13 03:13:56 UTC 2008

Quoting "illoai at gmail.com" <illoai at gmail.com>:

> On 12/02/2008, Chris H. <chris#@1command.com> wrote:
>> Quoting Gavin Spomer <spomerg at cwu.EDU>:
> . .  .
>> > for some reason. Having said that, I figured I would also have to be
>> > in /usr/src for the "make installworld" step. But I couldn't do that!
>> > Why? I could cd to /usr, but not /usr/src!
> . . .
>> reboot (in single user mode)
>>
>> fsck -p (optional, but a good idea)
>> mount -u /
>> mount -a -t ufs
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^----- this is why you couldn't cd into /usr/src
>
>> swapon -a (most cases; optional)
>
> from note 3 near the end of /usr/src/UPDATING:
>
>        [3] From the bootblocks, boot -s, and then do
>                fsck -p
>                mount -u /
>                mount -a
>                cd src
>                adjkerntz -i            # if CMOS is wall time
>        Also, when doing a major release upgrade, it is required that
>        you boot into single user mode to do the installworld.

2 things I feel worth mentioning - well, 3;

I just performed a 5.2 --> 7b4 upgrading using the "cheat sheet" I
provided. All went w/o error/troubles. It (cheat sheet) has also
served me well many yrs. w/o issues.

I /did/ mention that the "cheat sheet" I provided was not a
replacement for /usr/src/UPDATING.

But you /strategically/ removed that part of the post.

Context is also lost.

> --
> --

panic: kernel trap (ignored)