FreeBSD 7.0-RC2 Available

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Tue Feb 12 19:27:35 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 10:54 -0800, Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri wrote:
> How about RELENG_7? will we still get PRERELEASE?

We leave the development branch a release is coming from named
PRERELEASE until the release is completed.  No matter what we do with
the development branches during this phase of a release process it's
wrong.  Some people think it's strange leaving it name PRERELEASE that
long (and this release has dragged on so long it's been in this state
for longer than normal...).  Other people do an update to a machine, see
it named -STABLE, and assume that means the release has happened and
wonder why they can't find it.  Since that second set of people are
typically less in tune with what's going on (don't follow mailing lists,
often times less technically oriented, etc.) we've decided to cater to
them.

I'll shift RELENG_7 to -STABLE as soon as the release is completed.

--
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu
  there, funny things are everywhere.   |