"ad0: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA" type errors with 7.0-RC1

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Mon Feb 11 17:24:57 UTC 2008

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 01:00:57PM +0100, Remco van Bekkum wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 04:38:46PM -0800, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> After having replaced my first SATA disk with one of the same type,
> having still the same errors, I replaced this 1TB drive with 4x500GB
> Hitachi P7K500 in raidz. It worked fine for a week, but yesterday I
> cvsupped and rebuild world. This afternoon everything is breaking down
> again with the same errors:
>
> Feb 11 12:34:09 xaero kernel: ad6: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER
> MODE taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
> Feb 11 12:34:13 xaero kernel: ad6: WARNING - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER
> MODE taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
> Feb 11 12:34:17 xaero kernel: ad6: WARNING - SETFEATURES ENABLE RCACHE
> taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
> Feb 11 12:34:21 xaero kernel: ad6: WARNING - SETFEATURES ENABLE WCACHE
> taskqueue timeout - completing request directly
> Feb 11 12:34:25 xaero kernel: ad6: WARNING - SET_MULTI taskqueue timeout
> - completing request directly
> Feb 11 12:34:25 xaero kernel: ad6: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA48 timed out
> LBA=298014274

  Did you try replacing cabling as a previous poster recommended?  I've
had similar problems with both traditional parallel ATA and SATA due to
marginal cables, which of course are not solved by swapping drives.

  Not saying there's not a software problem here, just that there is
still one area to eliminate.
  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at iandicomputing.com / cliftonr at lava.net