synaptics problem

Matthieu Bollot mattboll at penia.org
Sat Feb 9 01:14:11 UTC 2008

Le Jeudi 07 février 2008 à 20:36 -0200, Otávio Fernandes a écrit :

> On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 22:48:56 +0100
> Matthieu Bollot <mattboll at penia.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've recently installed FreeBSD 6.3, and I've got a problem with
> > synaptics.
> > I've installed it, followed the pkg-message :
> > hw.psm.synaptics_support=1
> >
> > It works, dmesg gives :
> > psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
> > psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> > psm0: model Synaptics Touchpad, device ID 0
> >
> > moused_enable="NO"
> > ps shows me that moused doesn't run.
> >
> > xorg.conf :
> > InputDevice     "Synaptics_Touchpad"    "CorePointer"
> > Section "InputDevice"
> >         Identifier      "Synaptics_Touchpad"
> >         Driver          "synaptics"
> >         Option          "Device"                "/dev/psm0"
> >         Option          "Protocol"              "psm"
> >
> > And here is a part of Xorg.log :
> > (WW) <default pointer>: No Device specified, looking for one...
> > (II) <default pointer>: Setting Device option to "/dev/psm0"
> > (--) <default pointer>: Device: "/dev/psm0"
> > (==) <default pointer>: Protocol: "Auto"
> > Synaptics DeviceInit called
> > SynapticsCtrl called.
> > (II) <default pointer>: SetupAuto: hw.iftype is 3, hw.model is 13
> > (II) <default pointer>: SetupAuto: protocol is SysMouse
> > (WW) fcntl(15, O_ASYNC): Inappropriate ioctl for device
> > Synaptics DeviceOn called
> > (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/psm0
> > 	Device busy.
> > (WW) Synaptics_Touchpad: cannot open input device
> > couldn't enable device 3
> >
> > Protocol isn't psm, why ? Can I force it ?
> > /dev/psm0 isn't used or it is used by Xorg (I saw it with fstat)
> >
> > any idea ? I didn't had this problem with 6.2 but may be I wasn't up
> > to date with xorg.

> Hello Matthieu,
>
> I have another sugestion to your synaptics:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~dumbbell/synaptics/
>
> This patch make synaptics work with moused and, for me, it's awesome !
> The only matter is to emulate middle button you need to tap with 3
> fingers.
>
> best regards,

Hi all,
Dominic :
My xorg.conf is fine, it worked previously on the same box (just
versions have changed) and sadly, virtual scrolling doesn't works with
moused.
JoaoBR :
I didn't understand what I should enable in rc.conf, what should be
sysmouse ? I don't have any daemon with this name but may be I
misunderstood. I tried using my touchpad as a psm mouse but I can't find
a way to have synaptics option (scrolling)
Otávio :
I'll try soon, the patch still applies (it is 1 year old !)  it's time
to buildkernel now ^^

I'll continue to search, thanks all.