finstall alpha3

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Sat Feb 9 00:07:46 UTC 2008

On 08/02/2008, Ulrich Spoerlein <uspoerlein at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 06.02.2008 at 11:48:22 +0100, Ivan Voras wrote:
> > On the other hand, here's what it *can* do currently:
> >
> > - it's a "live" CD environment, completely like an already installed
> > FreeBSD system, only running from a read-only media (e.g. it's usable as
> > a "FixIt" system)
>
> This is great, and I think it's the way to go. Since I had to repair my
> system the last days with a 'FixIt' CD, I think this mode could get even
> more improvement. It would be nice, if there where some additional
> system repair tools available on this CD (license permitting, of
> course). You'd just have to make sure to still install a clean FreeBSD.
> This could be accomplished by using unionfs for the 'enhanced fixit
> overlay' or something like that.

Feel welcome to suggest additional tools to include. I'm aiming at a
700 MB image and I'm currently only near 450 MB :) (I won't include
multimedia software until hardware detection is implemented).

Since I'm already installing a bunch of GPL software in the
GUI/desktop environment, a few more won't make a difference.