finstall alpha3

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.org
Wed Feb 6 11:20:58 UTC 2008

Ivan Voras wrote:
> As some of you may already know, I'm working on a graphical installer
> for FreeBSD 7, which was started as a Google SoC 2007 project but still
> continues.

10+ years back when Jordan did first pre= X, 24x80 graphical installer,
soon afer he'd finished a blind chap posted ~So how do I install ?~
Answer then: ~Get a friend do it for you, or abandon FreeBSD & use NetBSD~

NetBSD still have Ascii installer, so more attractive to some.  Idea
for another SOC project : An automated tool that could descramble
all the glitz of [arbitrary ?] graphics tools back to something
sensible / Ascii, a bit like what OCR does for printed paper.

No doubt a bew grraphical installer might be nice (if X is reliable
which it often is Not, & don't rely on VESA either on old hardware),
but just so's we don't forget blind too,  amazingly they
use computers (with expensive interfaces).

Also visually impaired do too, the later simply with simple text
xterms with Monster fonts, rather than graphics I presume.

--
Julian Stacey.  BSD Unix Linux Net Consultant, Munich.  http://berklix.com