gjournal panic 7.0-RC1

Chris chrcoluk at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 16:17:51 UTC 2008

I had originally enabled gjournal and seemed to have no problems but I
was seeing errors in messages regarding dma write failures and after
some research concluded I had setup gjournal incorrectly.

I setup the gjournal again properly with soft updates disabled and
doing a fresh newfs, mount showed it as enabled and I had the .journal
mounted.

Started copying files to it from another partition as I wanted to set
that up on gjournal also and the copying I felt would be a good stress
test to see if the errors stop, the errors were gone and I felt great
but as it was about 80 gig of data to copy I went away to do something
else for a bit.

Came back to see box had rebooted itself from a journal related panic.

panic: Journal overflow (joffset=499054080000 active=499691355136 inactive=4990$
cpuid = 0

7.0-RC1

Fair to say this is not as stable as ufs + soft updates then? googling
did show other occurances of problem or is there a patch/workaround
for the issue? disks are both 500 gig each.

Chris