IPMI and Dell ERA/O

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Fri Aug 29 15:24:46 UTC 2008

On Friday 29 August 2008 01:33:36 am Jonathan Bond-Caron wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have a dell 1750 server with ERA/O card running on FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE
>
> According to Dell, the ERA card supports ipmi 1.0:
>
> http://linux.dell.com/ipmi.shtml
>
> But so far no luck with freebsd :/

If your BIOS doesn't tell us about the IPMI BMC via ACPI or SMBIOS, you can
try using hints (I've seen machines thave a BMC, but the BIOS doesn't bother
to tell you about it).  Dell boxes I've seen have KCS at the default address,
so you can just do:

hint.ipmi.0.at=isa0
hint.ipmi.0.mode=KCS

Either add that to /boot/device.hints or for a test just explicitly set those
variables at the loader prompt before booting.

--
John Baldwin