Regression 7.0R -> 7-stable?

Gerrit Kühn gerrit at pmp.uni-hannover.de
Wed Aug 27 09:16:43 UTC 2008

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 00:53:32 -0700 Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at FreeBSD.org>
wrote about Re: Regression 7.0R -> 7-stable?:

JC> > JB> What about disabling apic?  Also, are you using a serial
JC> > JB> console?  If so, can you put DDB in your kernel and when it
JC> > JB> hangs break into ddb and do a 'ps' and capture the output.

JC> > apic, acpi, don't confuse me. :-)

Ok, here some more input from my side:
I updated to the latest 7-stable, which identifies as 7.1-prerelease.
Booting default still locks up after launching the additional cores.
Booting without acpi behaves a bit different from before: It finds the
onboard sata-controller, but does not find the hd anymore. Thus it breaks
into the "Manual root filesystem specification" menu (but there is
nothing to specifiy as the disc is not found at all). The same happens when
I set hint.apic.0.disabled="1" at the loader prompt.

If someone can tell me what to do (except for putting ddb into the kernel
configuration) or point me at some documentation about this, I can try
getting some useful information from the debugger.

cu
  Gerrit