IMPORTANT! Network is unreachable

KES kes-kes at yandex.ru
Sun Aug 10 19:50:46 UTC 2008

09.08.08, 18:30, "Kurt Jaeger" <pi at opsec.eu>:

> Hi!
> > So I do not think that problem is with the network mask. Because of even ping 10.11.16.14
> > returns network is unreachable!
> > Now when I upgraded to v7 I see trouble described earlier.
> > So this is must be counted as BUG of v7
> It might be some issue with ARP timeouts ?
10.11.16.14 is local address
tcpdump on the interface with this address shows nothing

>The system learns
> the other IPs using some indirect way and forgets it as soon
> as the arp address times out ?
I do not think so. Because of when I ping local address 10.11.16.14 for an our without breaking this ping. So mac address can not die because of timeout. It dissappears from kernel routing table by some other cause. I do not know which cause

> > 5min period is seen without routed.
> > With routed I get next picture:
> > start routed: network is unreachable
> > stop routed: network still unreacheable
> > start routed: network is reachable
> > stop routed: network is reacheable
> > start routed: network is unreachable again
> >
> > The thing which is very interesting is:
> > Why period is 5 min?
> Why do you run routed ?
I want to use RIP
> Why don't you just statically assign the routes ?
Because of I have two links to same place
router1 --- LAN1 --- router2
  |                  /
 LAN2             LAN3
  |                /
router3  ---------/

router1: 10.0.16.1/24, 10.10.16.8/24
router2: 10.11.16.1/24, 10.0.16.3/24
router3: 10.11.16.14/24, 10.10.16.3/24
LAN1: 10.0.16.0
LAN2: 10.10.16.0
LAN3: 10.11.16.0

router3:
rl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>
        ether 00:0e:2e:db:4f:d4
        inet 10.10.16.3 netmask 0xfffffff0 broadcast 10.10.16.15
        status: active
I add 10.10.16.3 address to rl0 by mistake. It must be on rl1 interface.
But when I added it I lose connection to my LAN. I think this behavior is bug
so I describe problem in letters earlier