i386 vs amd64?

Eugene Kazarinov kamuzon at milshop.ru
Thu Aug 7 12:48:14 UTC 2008

Hello everybody.
(sorry for my english)

> # For individuals wanting to upgrade their sources (even if only a
> # delta of a few days):
> #
> #  1.  `cd /usr/src'       (or to the directory containing your source
> tree).
> #  2.  `make buildworld'
> #  3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is
> GENERIC).
> #  4.  `make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is
> GENERIC).
> #  5.  `reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader
> prompt).
> #  6.  `mergemaster -p'
> #  7.  `make installworld'
> #  8.  `make delete-old'
> #  9.  `mergemaster'
> # 10.  `reboot'
> # 11.  `make delete-old-libs' (in case no 3rd party program uses them
> anymore)

Pls tell me what for I need 5 step?
I have about 15 remote servers (10 on 6.X-stable and others on 7.0-stable).
These servers are far far away from me and I really cant connect serial or
keyboard to it.
So I upgrade remotely without "# 5 reboot" very long time, starting from at
least 5.4 (maybe 4.x I dont remember), 5.4-stable -> 6.0-stable, 6.0-stable
-> 6.2-stable, 6.0/6.2-stable -> 6.3-stable and of couse 6.2/6.3-stable ->
7.0-stable.
Only once I got a problem with /libexec/ld-elf.so.X then I try upgrade from
6.2-RELEASE-pX to 7.0-stable. Of couse I got phisical access to this server
to repair it. I got this file from another server and then succesfully
rebuild all the world with my "reception". This was really hard situation.
(I use /rescue and have shamanian danced with tambourine around this server
;) lol ;) )
I dont remember why I had on that server this strange (for me) version
(6.2-RELEASE).

So have I a chance to upgrade remote servers without single mode?
Now my practice is (a few last years):
#cd /usr/src
#mergemaster -p && make -j8 buildworld && make -j8 buildkernel KERNCONF=KMD
&& make installkernel KERNCONF=KMD && make installworld && mergemaster -iU
&& reboot
*) -j8 on 2x- or 4x-kernels cpu and -j4 on 1x-kernel cpu
*) some time I did "make -j4 installkernel KERNCONF=KMD" and "make -j4
installworld" but it's worked not stable. Sometimes it returns an error.
Maybe hdd was not speedy - dont know why it was so and dont know how to say
it all in english. :\
*) on Phenom 9750 with 2GB DDR2 800MHz memory "-j8 buildworld" makes in
about 16 minutes and "-j8 buildkernel KERN..." in about 5 minutes. As a
result all upgrade takes about 30 minutes or less. On x2 CPUs I put this
long command in ssh-term and go away. When I come back "mergemaster -iU" is
waiting me.

And if I make major update (6.x to 7.x) I'll portupgrade all ports as in
manual "portupgrade -faP"
and then reboot
after that "make delete-old" and "make delete-old-libs" and reboot

All of this I do remotely. Is this way very wrong? I understand that it's
not a "canonical" way but how I can do it right and remotely?

Thanks in advance.