FreeBSD 6.3/amd64: ng_ipacct "Depends on kernel" ?? why? when?

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Thu Aug 7 03:14:08 UTC 2008

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008, Eugene Kazarinov wrote:
> By the way I have one more question to port mantainer (dont know who
> is this).

run 'make maintainer' in the port directory.

> So, as I understand all needed modules loading by kernel "by
> default"?! And as I understand, module ng_ipacct.ko is not needed to
> the system for IP accounting?! because its not loaded in working
> system (and it's not working (isnt it?)) because it is "Unsupported
> file type"?!
> So, from that port (ng_ipacct) on up-to-date FreeBSD-systems people
> need only executable (/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ng_ipacct) and conf
> (/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ng_ipacct.conf.sample renamed to
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ng_ipacct.conf) files? Nor kernel module?!

The messages about already loaded modules are harmless, the port
presumably errs on the side of caution if you have a minimal kernel.

> So, If I dont want to get error response "kernel: kldload:
> /boot/modules/ng_ipacct.ko: Unsupported file type" in
> /var/log/messages then I could remove /boot/modules/ng_ipacct.ko and
> /boot/modules/linker.hints
> last one containes:

I think the 'Unsupported file type' *warning* is due to an odd issue
with amd64 kernel module support, it is harmless (although annoying).

> I'm afraid to delete these files, because I think system can becomes
> unbootable. Isn't it?

if you deleted the kernel module for ipacct then you wouldn't be able to
use it.. (maybe I don't understand what you mean)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum