5.x to 6.x or 7.x with 64MB /

Morgan Reed morgan.s.reed at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 04:36:40 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 2:48 AM, Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes at pobox.com> wrote:
> It occurs to me that if ad0s1a is insufficient then I could use ad0s1g
> as swap, and repurpose ad0s1b as a new /.  Is it straightforward to
> installworld/mergemaster to somewhere other than / ?

The DESTDIR directive will allow you to redirect your installworld to
a different location, as for mergemaster IIRC this can be done (been a
while since I was working on my embedded stuff that needed all this
FreeBSD 6.something in about 8MB) but I can't remember what switches.

It might be worth considering building /bin and /sbin dynamically
(20oddMB to about 500kB), mind I can't remember where the required
libs would be, if they're in /lib it'd be all good, if they're in
/usr/lib you're stuck.

All things considered I think your best option is to move / to a
different partition. Should be relatively painless to do from a
LiveCD, mount everything, duplicate / to somewhere else, modify fstab
and the bootloader config, reboot.