Stuck in geli

Sean C. Farley scf at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 5 16:24:57 UTC 2008

Rarely, a geli partition I have freezes a process in bufwait state.  It
occurs after an ATA timeout message:
Aug  5 03:47:13 thor kernel: ad10: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (1 retry left) LBA=219028637

The geli partition resides on an Intel MatrixRAID RAID1 mirror using the
ICH9R chipset (Asus P5K-E/WIFI).  Killing (even -9) the process does not
work.  Rebooting is the only solution, yet the system is unable to flush
the buffers and complete a clean unmounting.

Both drives in the mirror have both survived a smartctl -t offline scan.
Also, a previous time it was with ad12, so I strongly doubt it is the
drive.  It seems like a geli partition is unable to handle a timeout
from a drive.

ad10:
Model Family:     Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 and 7200.7 Plus family
Device Model:     ST3160827AS

ad12:
Model Family:     Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 and 7200.7 Plus family
Device Model:     ST3160827AS

Sean

P.S. I could not help myself with the subject line.  :)
--
scf at FreeBSD.org