Portmaster questions (Was: Re: Using Portupgrade?)

Alex Goncharov alex-goncharov at comcast.net
Tue Aug 5 01:35:53 UTC 2008

,--- Doug Barton (Sun, 03 Aug 2008 22:14:54 -0700) ----*
| It's really not appropriate to hijack the portupgrade thread for this,
| so I'm starting a new subject. Also, please respect followups to
| -ports.

[ Being an inexperienced poster: sorry. Am I using a good cc: list now? ]

| Alex Goncharov wrote:
| > 1. I see a significant difference in the time it takes to get the same
| >    information using the two tools:
| As I understand it, portupgrade uses the INDEX file to determine
| whether ports are up to date. Portmaster recurses through each
| installed port and does 'make -V PKGVERSION'.
|
| > 2. It looks like there are no `portmaster' equivalents to
| >    `portupgrade' `-P' and `-PP' options, which I want to have.
| If portupgrade does the job for you, keep using it. :)  I have said
| many times that I'm not looking to write a portupgrade replacement.
| Use the right tool for the job(s) you have to do.
`---------------------------------------------------------------*

Thank you for `postmaster' -- I do like it and am not trying to
criticize.  Hoped that somebody knowledgeable would tell me how to use
the available port management tools better, which you just did re:
"versions", thanks.

,--- Miroslav Lachman (Mon, 04 Aug 2008 11:36:58 +0200) ----*
| You do not have to run portversion or portmaster or any other 3rd party
| tool to check versions of installed ports. Use pkg_version which is
| included in base system and then you are independent of port management
| tools changes.

| pkg_version (by default) do not use INDEX, but have option to use it and
| then become clear winner (in speed):

Thank you -- I didn't know that and am switching to "pkg_version -I"
now!..

| As I had problems with portupgrade's handling of dependencies, I am
| converted to portmaster.
`---------------------------------------------------------------*

I've also had enough problems with portupgrade's -R option and
essentially stopped using it (the option).

,--- Marcin Wisnicki (Mon, 4 Aug 2008 15:24:37 +0000 (UTC)) ----*
| It's not even doing a good job at it, standard pkg_version significantly
| outperforms it:

Well, I guess I'll make another, better informed attempt to switch to
portmaster now.

Thank you all who replied for the useful information!

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov at comcast.net --