Temperature monitoring on old desktop - Dell OptiPlex SX270?

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Mon Aug 4 18:45:55 UTC 2008

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 06:43:28 -0700
Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Then the only possibility is to take a very high-resolution photo
> (read: 2048x1536 or higher) and send it to someone who can identify

Ok, if I want to do that, I guess my Fujifilm Finepix F40fd (8 Mpixel)
shold be able.

> ICs (I'm good at recognising H/W monitoring ICs :-) ).  But even that
> won't guarantee anything; an IC that supports H/W monitoring may be

For now, I'll lok at software tests to identify anything.

> The P4 TM feature is more of a thermal manager and not so much a
> "monitor" in the sense of what you think it might be (re: ability to
> provide thermal statistics to a program).  It *is* a "monitor" in the
> sense that it reads temperature, but there's no way to access that
> internal data.

Yes, Dan Nelson also explained that to me. Thanks for explaining!

> You could try Linux.  Their lm-sensors project is incredibly thorough,

Ok, I did so yesterday, see the SX270 and Xubuntu page[1].

> but based on what I've looked at in the code, it's hit-or-miss.  It

I tested with sensors-detect from lm-sensors, but it was a miss. :-(
sensors-detect output here[2].

> Again, this would only allow you to detect whether or not there's an
> actual H/W monitoring IC on the board somewhere.  I'm strongly
> doubting there is.

It seems you are right.