ddb(4) scripts not working in RELENG_7?

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 18:29:32 UTC 2008

Hi Robert,

On Sun, 03.08.2008 at 14:49:00 +0100, Robert Watson wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Aug 2008, Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
> > I was testing a patch and getting a panic (page fault while in kernel mode)
> > in RELENG_7 running multiuser mode, but no scripts were automagically run,
> > although I configured ddb_enable=YES in rc.conf.
> >
> > It simply dropped me to the interactive ddb(4) prompt, nothing more. Do you
> > have any idea what I could be missing?
>
> I have been using DDB scripts on 7-STABLE without any problems, but I'm not
> sure I've tried it with a page fault, just regular panics.  Could you try
> entering the debugger via "sysctl debug.kdb.panic=1", which forces a panic,
> and see if your scripts run then?  Perhaps there's some inconsistency in how
> we're entering the debugger.  If things still appear not to be happening, try
> setting up a kdb.enter.default script and see if that works?

Spot on! Entering via sysctl works as expected; the 'default' script
will also be executed after a page fault, but not the panic-script.

So either page faults should call the panic-script or some sort of
kdb.enter.pfault should be introduced? Either way, I see another manpage
update coming up :)

Cheers,
Ulrich Spoerlein
--
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool,
than to speak, and remove all doubt.