em(4) on FreeBSD is sometimes annoying

Royce Williams royce at alaska.net
Mon Aug 4 17:35:23 UTC 2008

Jack Vogel wrote, on 8/4/2008 9:18 AM:
> The focus here on the laptop distracted me, but someone else at work
> reminded me. Its very important that you run the EEPROM fix for
> the 82573 that i posted a long while back, search in email archive
> for it. Its a DOS executable that will patch your EEPROM.
>
> I am not sure if the Lenova's need it, but get it, run it, and then
> see if your problem goes away.

Martin, there's also a link to it from Jeremy's "Commonly Reported
Issues" page:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/JeremyChadwick/Commonly_reported_issues

Look for "DOS-based EEPROM".

Jack, is this issue the same one that is documented here?

http://e1000.sourceforge.net/doku.php?id=known_issues#v_l_e_tx_unit_hang_messages

... and addressed by this script?

http://e1000.sourceforge.net/doku.php?id=tx_unit_hang

If so, the script could be used without booting from a DOS disk.  If
this is unrelated or is an unsafe way to apply this fix, that would be
handy to know.

Royce

--
Royce D. Williams                                   - http://royce.ws/
        A finished person is a boring person.  - Anna Quindlen