em(4) on FreeBSD is sometimes annoying

Martin nakal at web.de
Mon Aug 4 09:08:34 UTC 2008

Am Sat, 02 Aug 2008 23:50:10 +0200
schrieb Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no>:

> On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 22:40:46 +0200
> Martin <nakal at web.de> wrote:
>
> > good point, no. The problem appears when the first thing called on
> > this interface is dhclient (caused by ifconfig_em0="DHCP"). I could
>
> So, if you don't automatically configure the interface, but instead do
> something like:
> 'ifconfig em0 up'
> and then the DHCP stuff
> does the interface work then?

Hi Torfinn,

I've put "/sbin/ifconfig em0 up" into rc.local. Now the behavior is
slightly different. Steps:

1) I switch laptop on with cable unplugged. Everything ok (DHCP failed,
of course; this is normal).
2) I plug the cable in: "state: active". Yay! This is OK!
3) NIC does not get IP (one time it got the correct IP but the it lost
it again, I could see by repeatedly typing "ifconfig em0").
4) I kill the dhclient.
5) I manually start "dhclient em0". No response (DHCPREQUEST,
DHCPDISCOVER, does not finish).
6) I start "ifconfig em0 down" and once again "dhclient em0" (this
time without "ifconfig em0 up"!).
7) Got an IP, without delays (as it should be).

--
Martin