busybox and small scripting languages on FreeBSD ? (was Re: 80 Mb / enough for 7.x? OK to delete /stand/ and /modules/ ?)

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at iet.unipi.it
Sat Aug 2 22:54:40 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 02, 2008 at 11:39:20AM -0700, Sam Leffler wrote:
> I've been looking at nanobsd for a couple of applications and working to
> reduce the footprint of the images without hacking special rules.  With
> If we're ever to consider building images for flash parts (not compact
> flash) then we'll need to do a lot of work to pare down the bloat--or
> replace current apps w/ special purpose replacements a la busybox (not
> something I find appealing).

related to this thread -- does anyone have experience in trying
to build busybox on FreeBSD ?

Also, what would you suggest as a small scripting language to be used
in this kind of platform for implementing CGI scripts (and preferably
able to use sockets/select) ?

The various perl/python/php and friend are in the 10MB range once you
pick up a little bit of libraries (sockets etc) and the tangle of
modules they require; awk (which is present in busybox) is ok-ish for
some things, but doing
I/O and calling external programs with it is very unfriendly;
javascript/spidermonkey is on the 500KB range but it doesn't have
a library to play with sockets...

	cheers
	luigi