em(4) on FreeBSD is sometimes annoying

Martin nakal at web.de
Fri Aug 1 12:20:13 UTC 2008

Hello,

I don't remember anymore when I reported it the first time. I think it
was around 4.x or something like that. The em(4) bug is still there
after years.

Hasn't anyone really noticed yet that em(4) only appears when you boot
FreeBSD with the interface physically attached to a switch for example?
If you attach it later, after boot up, the interface won't power up and
appear in the interface list (ifconfig)?

Steps to reproduce:
1) Switch your PC/laptop off. Really OFF, no reboot.
2) Disconnect the em(4) NIC from your switch.
3) Boot FreeBSD.
4) Plug in the ethernet cable.
5) Tataa! All leds at the NIC stay off. You won't be able to use em(4)
unless you reboot your machine.

Something is not being initialized properly on em(4) devices, it seems.

I have had 3 of 3 em(4) NICs so far, where this bug shows up. And it's
extremely annoying on Thinkpads, when you just want to plug in your
laptop somewhere.

--
Martin