Memory issues (was 7.0-BETA1 freeze using portmaster)

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Wed Oct 31 15:59:08 PDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 08:50:44AM -1000, Robert Marella wrote:
> > Robert Marella wrote:
> >
> > > It is looking like a hardware problem. I update portmaster to 1.24
> > > and it didn't help. When I tried with the -B option it froze in a
> > > different place. I then csup the latest source rm'd /usr/obj and
> > > attempted a buildworld.
> > >
> > > Lo and behold it froze up. It has been very hot the last few days
> > > here in Kona but all the fans seem to pulling good air. I am now
> > > running memtest and will let you know what I find.
> >

> This is for the archives and to see if any hardware guru out there has
> some helpful knowledge.
>
> This computer has a ASUS P4P800 mobo with 2Gig of ram (4x500M). Memtest
> failed within minutes. I then ran each memory module one at a time and
> each ran without failures no matter which socket it was in.
>
> Further tests showed that memory tests failed only when I had 2 or 4
> modules configured as dual channel *. The system is now running flawless
> with 3 modules (1.5G) installed which forces single channel operation.
> Again, the 3 modules can be in any sockets.

  I could be wrong but IIRC, some MBs of that era require very specific
DIMM timing parameters and/or require "registered" (buffered) DIMMs
when populating all slots for dual-channel operation.  Usually they are
more tolerant when running only a single bank or not running in
dual-channel.  If you can find the manual, you might want to check that
possibility.

  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at iandicomputing.com / cliftonr at lava.net