Upgrading FreeBSD Questions

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Wed Oct 31 04:01:00 PDT 2007

Roland Smith wrote:

> Remember to remove old files and libraries with `make delete-old' and
> `make delete-old-libs' as explained in /usr/src/Makefile.
>
> It is advisable to remove and install your ports from scratch when
> upgrading to a new major version, because the automatic port updating
> tools don't always do this correctly.

Not meaning to pick on Roland here... but surely we should be
recommending to follow the instructions in /usr/src/UPDATING? (as the
documentation page also mentions), rather than our own abbreviations
thereof?

The only source of confusion then is whether to define ALWAYS_CHECK_MAKE
whilst building/installing a kernel (as Chris mentions) - which is
probably worth clarifying (never do it myself...and never had issues,
but UPDATING is a little ambiguous on that point).

Cheers

Mark