kern/104406: [ufs] Processes get stuck in "ufs" stateunderpersistent CPU load

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 30 12:51:15 PDT 2007

Oleg Derevenetz wrote:
>>> entering a
>>> Can
>>> least
>>> this > > ?

>>> Thanks, I'll try it in the monday morning.

>>> Unfortunately, this doesn't work too. I called duty personnel in this
>>> datacenter and asked them to do this, and person on duty tells me
>>> that after
>>> he enters this command something like that arrives on monitor:
>>>
>>> db> call doadump
>>> Dumping 3072 MB
>>>
>>> Dump aborted error I/O
>>> Dump failed. (Error 5)
>>
>> Hmnmm, that seems like you might be having a hardware problem,
>
> It is possible, but unlikely:
>
> 1. I have simular symptoms on another AMD64 machine with 6.2 (uname -a
> from this machine listed in PR kern/104406 in my followup at Wed, 7 Mar
> 2007 05:10:59 +0300), but they are rare and this machine is in
> production, so I can't make experiments with it;
> 2. All these hardware successfully works earlier with FreeBSD 4.6.
>
>> what disk device do you have?
>
> Dumpdev is swap partition on da0 (single physical disk) that connected
> to Mylex AcceleRAID 170 RAID controller. The problem arrives when I copy
> large amount of files from FTP to another disk (da1) that is connected
> to the same RAID controller.

If the driver or controller is misbehaving it could explain both
problems.  Any chance you can get another disk in there on a different
controller to dump onto?

Kris