Upgrading FreeBSD Questions

Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri wearabnet at yahoo.ca
Tue Oct 30 07:16:39 PDT 2007

Hello Jason,

----- Original Message ----

 of
> RAM. I hate Windows, but had to sell my MacBook so my Fiance and

 could get
> into a new apartment together.
>
> I want to try version 7 as it has items of interest to me, but I am
> not

 one
> to continually wipe and reload my machine, can you upgrade from
> the

 test
> releases of 7 available now to the final release when ready? Or do
> you

 have
> to wipe?
>
> I apologize, but I am from a Solaris environment and then OS X.
>
> Jason
> --
> "Don't be reckless with other people's hearts, don't put up with
> people

 who
> are reckless with yours"........Lehrmann (1997)

You can always upgrade to a newer FreeBSD version without too much hassle.

Here are the steps.

csup your src tree to RELENG_7

Then do these steps as root

#cd /usr/src
#make cleandir
#make cleanworld
#mergemaster -p
#make buildworld
#make buildkernel
#make installkernel
#reboot
#cd /usr/src
#make installworld
#mergemaster -iU (-iU added to automatically install files that don't exist and upgrade those that haven't changed.
#reboot

mergemaster made it very easy to upgrade, thank you Doug! }:)

Regards,
-Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri
Arab Portal
http://www.WeArab.Net/