7.0-BETA1 freeze using portmaster

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 29 23:32:03 PDT 2007

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007, Robert Marella wrote:

> Aloha
>
> [robert at p4] ~> uname -a
> FreeBSD p4.konav201.local 7.0-BETA1 FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1 #2: Mon Oct 29
> 07:58:19 HST 2007     root@:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>
> This was a fresh install of 7 from a couple of months ago when it was
> -current. I have been updating

src, ports, or both?

> at least weekly since then. I csup'd and did the buildworld/kernel thing
> this past Friday. At that time I change from the generic kernel to a
> generic using -ULE.

Assuming that you're now tracking RELENG_7, and assuming that you
installed the new kernel and world, did you clean out all the old
libraries and includes from before the branch?

> When updating the ports over the weekend using "portmaster -a -u" the

This isn't really relevant to your question, but I'd like to point out
that I think people are using the -u flag a lot more than they really need
to. Under normal circumstances once you're past the 'make config' stage
and the ports start actually compiling there won't be any interaction
required. In fact, now that the OPTIONS framework is fixed if you already
have options files for the ports you have installed, and those options
haven't changed, you won't even get those screens to deal with.

> system would freeze at "Creating a backup package for old version
> pkg-glob". Where pkg-glob is whatever was being updated at the time of
> course.

What happens if you just run 'pkg_create -b <portname from /var/db/pkg>'?
I strongly suspect that this is a problem with your pkg_create binary,
since that's all portmaster is doing in that spot. If the pkg_create
command failed then you would see an error message and portmaster would
exit.

hth,

Doug