interface speed support

Miguel Lopes Santos Ramos miguel at anjos.strangled.net
Mon Oct 29 16:55:26 PDT 2007

> From: "David Yeske" <dyeske at gmail.com>
>
> Is there a way to determine the supported interface speed of a
> particular driver?  If I have a gigabit ethernet device connected to a
> 100baseTX switch, how can I determine the interface supports gigabit
> ethernet?  I have tried parsing the following.  Is there a cleaner way
> to do this?
>
> sysctl -A | grep phy | grep desc

I think using that line you're only checking what kind of phy device you have.
If it is connected to a 100baseTX switch, it must be using 100baseTX.

For controlling and querying the media type that you're actually using, you
can use ifconfig media parameter.
The actual value that this parameter accepts are device dependent but
in practice quite standard like 100baseTX or 1000baseTX.

say, ifconfig | grep media:

Greetings,
Miguel