MFC requests for 6.3

Jack Vogel jfvogel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 10:31:24 PDT 2007

On 10/28/07, Brian Behlendorf <brian at hyperreal.org> wrote:

> >> The thing that's worried me, following only stable at freebsd.org traffic,
> >> were the reports about the new em driver (6.6.6?) causing hangs and other
> >> problems with people who have been updating RELENG_6 - have those who had
> >> those problems seen their issues resolved?  I've got remote boxes using
> >> em that I can't risk making inaccessible and can't test locally.
> >
> > All my problems with watchdog timeouts and em 6.6.6 occurred when  em shared
> > interrupt with USB but I don't know if it's MB, em or usb that's the problem.
> > Removing USB from the kernel or switching to polling and the driver works
> > just fine.
> >
> > The fact that one of my test machines didn't have any problems was because it
> > had no USB in it's kernel. I had removed USB as I had problems with watchdog
> > timeouts with the bge driver when I first upgraded to the D915GAV MB ages
> > ago. The bge also shared interrupt with USB.
>
> Thanks.  /var/run/dmesg.boot says my em0 and em1 don't share an IRQ with
> USB or anyone else, so sounds like I'm in the clear, yay.  But it still
> seems like something the vendor (Intel?) should be looking into before a
> another release on RELENG_6 is cut - even if USB is the culprit, it
> sounded like the problems started for em users when the driver was updated
> from 6.2.9 to 6.6.6.

When I have an easy-to-repro problem I can generally fix it in short
order. The problem is this is not something that I've repro'd. I am
aware of the reports, and I'm always interested in helpful data, I
will have my test engineer work overtime (hear that Steve :) to get
a repro this week.

Keep those cards and letter coming :)

Jack