portupgrade error with 7.0-BETA1

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Oct 28 16:03:20 PDT 2007

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 11:31:49PM +0100, Marc UBM Bocklet wrote:
> > and then tried using portupgrade, which promptly fails with:
> >
> > Fatal error 'Cannot allocate red zone for initial thread' at line 382
> > in file /usr/src/lib/libthr/thread/thr_init.c (errno = 12)
> > Illegal instruction: 4 (core dumped)
> >
> > (the red zone error ist repeated about 20 times).
[snip]
> This one bit me as well. It's an obsolete library (libthr) in the
> binary, Recompile ruby18 and problem will go away.  You'll find other
> programs will do this too, but a lot of them disapear after doing a
> portupgrade.

After updated to a new major version of FreeBSD (6->7, not 6.2->6.3) is
to make a list of all ports, remove them all with pkg_delete and install
them from scratch.

That is the only sure way to prevent programs linking to older libraries.

And while your at it, it would be a good idea to clean out the old cruft
from (/usr)/lib as well.

Roland