Supermicro X7DBR-8+ hang at boot

Guy Helmer ghelmer at palisadesys.com
Wed Oct 24 07:11:01 PDT 2007

John Baldwin wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 January 2007 01:17:57 pm Guy Helmer wrote:
>
>> Jack Vogel wrote:

>>> If that isnt it, I would suggest installing using ACPI disabled or
>>> SAFE if
>>> needed, and then tweak the kernel after.
>>>
>> hint.apic.0.disabled=1 helped - it hasn't hung yet in several boot
>> cycles.  New dmesg is attached below in case it helps anyone see a
>> better fix than disabling the APICs.
>>

> So you got an interrupt storm on IRQ 18 when ahd0 tried to probe and ahd0 got
> interrupt timeouts.  This indicates that ahd0 really lives on IRQ 18, not IRQ
> 30.  Your BIOS is likely busted since ACPI hardcodes these sort of IRQs.
>
> You can override the BIOS by doing:
>
> set hw.pci5.2.INTA.irq=18
>
> in the loader (or adding a line to loader.conf) and seeing if that fixes the
> boot with APIC enabled.

I'm trying to resolve what looks like a similar problem with an IBM
Blade Server unit.  I'm reviewing my previous emails on this subject
with the verbose boot messages to try to learn what lead you to
determine the correct interrupt would be 18, but I can't seem to figure
out what data leads to this conclusion.  Any hints?

Thanks,
Guy