1.3G of my /var missing

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Oct 24 06:37:24 PDT 2007

> Clayton Milos wrote:

> >> As in most cases the problem was sitting between the chair and the
> >> keyboard. I
> >> simply overlooked the G when I read that /var/log contained 1.3G of data.
> >>
> >> I'm sorry for wasting the precious time of those who read or even
> >> replied with
> >> my stupidity.
> >
> > Sounds like you need to make a few entries in /etc/newsyslog
> > First thing I do when I add any new apps is give their logs a life cycle.
> > All too quickly logs become bulky and you find /var holding it's breath.
> >
> > -Clay
>
> The problem was messages, and it's related with my DVD troubles which spammed
> the log with DMA errors.

	If you let the tools do their jobs you won't get silly errors
	like that.  Both du and df default to returning 1k blocks.

	You will note that the usage figure is identical by both methods.

	Mark

drugs# du -s /var
404806  /var
drugs# df /var
Filesystem  1K-blocks   Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s4d   2004526 404806 1439358    22%    /var
drugs#

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org