em lockups during heavy network I/O on RELENG_7

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 19 22:08:17 PDT 2007

On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 12:10:30AM -0400, Josh Carroll wrote:
> > There's another thread on this issue, although that thread seems to
> > apply to a specific version (of em(4) code, or of NIC PROM revision -- I
> > don't know, the dmesg output is somewhat ambiguous).
>
> Ah sorry, I did see that thread, but did notice the em version was
> different, and that it didn't appear to be causing a hard lock of the
> machine. I suppose it could be related, though. Should I track/post to
> that thread, instead? Sorry if this is a duplicate issue, but it
> seemed the symptoms were different.

My apologies -- after being educated (the version number shown in the
device output is actually the driver version and not a PROM version),
your issue here is likely separate.  The driver revision shown here
is 6.5.3.

Jack should be able to help track this down though...  (I like how
I'm volunteering him for more work, haha.  :-) )