Mounting smbfs as user?

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Fri Oct 19 03:00:44 PDT 2007

on 18/10/2007 17:29 Ivan Voras said the following:
> Krassimir Slavchev wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Ivan Voras wrote:
>

>>> The same command works under root, and the appropriate klds are loaded:
>> Only superuser can load modules. If you try to load module by regular
>> user you will get: kldload: can't load xxxx.ko: Operation not permitted
>

> To clarify: the modules were loaded before I tried either as user or as
> root.

This doesn't seem to be entirely smbfs-specific, but rather specific to
internal workings of iconv modules. Here's some information from a while
ago:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2006-December/031501.html

I didn't get any useful information since then and still have to use a
workaround of doing any mount as root to get iconv initialized first and
then all subsequent user mounts are successful.
While on one hand this seems like only a minor annoyance, on the other
hand it indicates a problem in iconv internal workings and this should
be considered a bug as this breaks a user-mount feature.

Probably a PR is due here, I was just too lazy to open it when I first
hit the problem.

--
Andriy Gapon