RELENG_7 jerky mouse and skipping sound

Anish Mistry mistry.7 at osu.edu
Thu Oct 18 11:27:05 PDT 2007

On Thursday 18 October 2007, [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
> Anish Mistry wrote:

> >> Which suggested solution did you follow. Did you deactivate
> >> moused? Did you configure Xorg to use the mouse directly. For me
> >> also the whole system froze, but it did so because of the mouse.
> >
> > Both, moused is disabled, and Xorg is configured to use
> > /dev/ums0. I'm still seeing the same issue.  If I've got
> > portmaster running an upgrade I still get the freezes.
>
> That's too bad, there seems to be a whole load of issues here.
Well, I just enabled FULL_PREEMPTION in my kernel conf and things are
MUCH better, but the problem still reproducible when I check mail on
all of my e-mail accounts in kmail.  Kmail forks off a process to
check mail, and since I've got about a dozen accounts I get the
jerkyness of the mouse for a couple of seconds while all of them are
racing for the processor trying to check mail.  The behavior is much
less pronounced and I can now play music and compile stuff without
skipping and freezing.

--
Anish Mistry