AW: g_vfs_done():da3s1a[READ(offset=81064794762854400, length=8192)]error = 5

d_elbracht d_elbracht at ecngs.de
Sun Oct 14 07:09:02 PDT 2007

> > we are trying to diagnose errors seen on 6.2, SMP, amd64,
> cvsup'ed of
> > 2007-10-09
> >
> > Mainboard is a Tyan Thunder h2000M (S3992-E) with 16 GB RAM and 2 x
> > Opteron 2216, da3 is on a 3ware 9550-12
> >
> > we are seeing this error:
> > g_vfs_done():da3s1a[READ(offset=81064794762854400,
> length=8192)]error
> > = 5 on a 12 GB Hyperdrive
> >
> > the offset changes sometimes, but it is always
> 81064794xxxxxxxxx and
> > well out the 12GB range.
> >
> > We did have the Hyperdrive connected directly to the
> mainboards SATA0
> > (ad4) with similar errors.
> > We used to have a md instead of the hyperdrive before,
> coming up with
> > similar errors.
> >
> > Blocksize on the partition is 8192 (newsfs -b 8192 ..).
> > We did have a blocksize of 65536 before, but after some hours
> > (sometimes days), the machine will be unresponsible with
> "newbuf" as a
> > waitmessage in top and has to be hard-reset.
> > Regarding "newbuf", as well as nbufkv and nbufbs, I will write a
> > seperate message to the list.
> >
> > According to systat -vm, da3 does tps > 500 (yes, that's a lot)
> >
> > This leads to an assumption, the error has to do with very high IOs
> > per second on a SMP machine.
> > The system-disk is a RAID1 on an ICP 5805. All other disks
> (51) are 20
> > gstripe'd partitions.
> >
> > Any hint to diagnose / fix the problem is well appreciated.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Dieter
> >

> I can geneate 30,000 I/O's per second for hours on end on
> several types of storage hardware on FreeBSD SMP, and have no
> problems.  Since you're seeing this problem both when
> connected to a 3ware controller and when connected to a
> simple ATA/SATA controller (both of which have also been
> observed to do high amounts of I/O with no problems), I
> suspect that the problem is with your disk device, not with
> FreeBSD.  I don't know anything about a "hyperdrive" though,
> so more information might help.
>
> Scott

Well, how about this:
> > We used to have a md instead of the hyperdrive before,
> coming up with
> > similar errors.

here ist some info about the hyperdrive.
http://www.hyperossystems.co.uk/

We could go back the the md (memory-disk) to try again.

What exactly does the "offset" in the error-message mean ? Isn't that like a
seek on the disk ? And what does "error=5" mean ?

Sure, the whole thing could be a problem of the application running. It's
diablo 5. The history file (dhistory) about 2 GB in size resides on the
hyperdrive.

Dieter