Unable to boot recent -stable with MSI/MSIX enabled

Jack Vogel jfvogel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 16:30:07 PDT 2007

On 10/12/07, Alson van der Meulen <alson+ml at alm.flutnet.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After upgrading from RELENG_6 of 2007-10-01 to 2007-10-10, one of my
> computers didn't boot anymore. It failed to mount its root device
> because geom_mirror didn't find its volume, and manually specifying one
> of the partitions didn't work either. Same with a kernel from today's
> -stable sources. The kernel is a GENERIC amd64 kernel plus 'device puc'.
>
> It works if I disable MSI/MSIX support by commenting out these lines in
> loader.conf (I added them myself at some point):
> hw.pci.enable_msi=1
> hw.pci.enable_msix=1
>
> The only relevant commit I could find between 2007-10-01 and 2007-10-10
> is the em merge. This box does have an Intel Pro/1000PT (PCIe) NIC. I
> believe that the new MSI support in the em driver upsets the ATA driver.

Hmmm, so am I correct in understanding that this root is remote, so its
really coming in over the the em driver?

I remember someone having problems with remote boot/mounts at some
point, think it was Sam, but we resolved it, and I don't remember what
it was, but it had nothing to do with MSI/X.

This is pretty odd, I've never run into anything like it so far. Anyone else
with ideas or suggestions?

Regards,

Jack