em driver 6.6.6 regression

Igor Sysoev is at rambler-co.ru
Fri Oct 12 05:42:00 PDT 2007

Yesterday I have cvsup'ed FreeBSD on ThinkPad T42 to RELENG_6
"2007.10.10.23.59.59" and have noticed lags while playing mp3 and browsing.
I have suspected new em driver, because there was no lags if wifi iwi0
was used instead of em0 for network. So I had downgraded the em driver
separately to 6.2.9 version, have build a kernel loadable module, and have
loaded it instead of the 6.6.6 module, and the lags have disappeared.

The lags appeares only if browser (Firefox, Opera) does several requests:
main page, js, images. There are no lags if browser reload simple page.
Also, I could not reproduce lags by other network traffic: pings, ssh, scp,
downloading files. There are no lags if I compile and so on.

Some additional info:

The shared irq11 is used by pcm0, em0, iwi0, CardBus, USB, and acpi_video0.

em0 at pci2:1:0:   class=0x020000 card=0x05491014 chip=0x101e8086 rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = '82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Mobile)'

--
Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/