problems bridging on RELENG_6

David Yeske dyeske at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 16:47:38 PDT 2007

I have a machine running FreeBSD stable that I am trying to bridge for
use with openvpn.  I am able to use the older bridge interface by
running the following.

sysctl net.link.ether.bridge.enable=1
sysctl net.link.ether.bridge.config=fxp0,tap0

When I try and use the new if_bridge interface my packets don't appear
to make it through the bridge.  Here is what I am running

ifconfig bridge0 create
ifconfig bridge0 addm fxp0 addm tap0 up

Here is the output of uname -a on my machine.

FreeBSD nfs 6.2-STABLE FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #1: Sun Sep  9 02:01:33 EDT
2007     root at nfs:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/NFS  i386

I have used the if_bridge interface on a FreeBSD current machine to
bridge nfe0 and ath0 without problems.  Has anyone had problems with
the if_bridge interface on RELENG_6?  I also noticed the following
weird messages coming from dmesg on the local machine.

arp: unknown hardware address format (0x0000)

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
David Yeske