PAE Slowdown

Richard Todd rmtodd at ichotolot.servalan.com
Mon Oct 8 12:45:12 PDT 2007

Jeff Kramer <jeffk at well.com> writes:

> Hey all,
>
> I know that AMD64's the preferred way to run >4 gig systems, but I'm
> having a weird situation with 6.2-RELEASE-p8 and 6-STABLE as of last
> night.  When I compile the PAE kernel, my system performance drops
> like a rock.  It still boots and everything still runs, but for
> instance, running the Flops port my megaflops drop from the 950 MFLOPS
> range to 4 MFLOPS.  It feels about as fast as a 486.

This may not be a PAE-related problem.  I say this because I noticed you
have the same MB I have:

> ACPI APIC Table: <INTEL  DP965LT >

Several Intel MBs, including the DP965LT, have a BIOS bug that rears
its head when you have 4G (or more) of memory installed, where the
BIOS sets the cache control registers incorrectly.  This cause a chunk
of your main memory (on my system, the chunk between 448MB and 512MB)
to be labeled uncachable, with the result being random slowdowns
whenever the kernel or user processes happen to touch memory in that
chunk.  This problem drove me crazy trying to figure out what the problem
was until I stumbled on this report on a Linux users' forum explaining
the situation.

Fortunately, the workaround is fairly straightforward, adding an rc.d script
to twiddle the MTRRs.  Assuming this is your problem, if you could post the
output of "memcontrol list" it should be possible to id which of the entires
is bogus and needs to be removed.