buildworld failures on STABLE

Eugene Grosbein eugen at kuzbass.ru
Sun Oct 7 03:20:44 PDT 2007

On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 11:40:11AM +0200, Roland Smith wrote:

> > On a remote machine currently with RELENG-6 from 20th. June, with STABLE
> > sources from this morning I get build failures in contrib/ similar to:
> <snip>
> > /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc_int/../../../../contrib/gcc/lcm.c:801: internal
> > compiler error: Segmentation fault: 11
> <snip>
> > Would this indicate a hardware (memory) problem?
>
> Yes. The compiler dying with signal 11 is a typical memory problem.
>
> > Any way to test remotely?
>
> There are memory test applications like memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org/).
> You have to boot from it, but it does support a console on a serial port.

There is also ports/sysutils/memtest that may be run from multiuser
if one manages to build it with broken memory :-)
Or it's possible to install a package.

One problem with running such application with OS loaded is that
kernel places strict limit to amount of memory that user-level application
may lock. There is a PR with a patch that allows to raise the limit
so memtest could test most part of free memory:

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/114654

Eugene Grosbein